Thursday, March 31, 2011

So Far, Safe and Sound!

Little Bear the mare arrived after 9:30PM last night. I raced to get there ahead of the trailer when I got the call that she had crossed the Throgs Neck Bridge. She showed up riding in style in a big 6 horse gooseneck from the horse shipper my trainer connected me with. The shipper was a great lady and she praised Little Bear for her calmness and good manners.

LB stepped slowly off the trailer and into the main barn where all the show horses are boarded. I wanted to groom her a bit and then see if Monty's old sheet and halter would fit her, as she arrived naked and wearing a nylon halter. She slipped right into his clothes like she'd been waiting her whole life for them.

As I worked on her, all the horses were peering out to see who the newbie was. Only one head was missing - Ruby. The old man tends to ignore things that don't concern him or the hay he's munching on. But he must have heard my voice and looked out at me. When he saw it was me, he whinnied happily at me. And when I said his name he nickered again. As soon as he did that, LB turned her head and looked at me, like she was really interested in who was handling her. I got the feeling whatever Ruby said got her interested. I quickly got a little treat for Ruby and offered one to Little Bear. She bit it in half and dropped it. I picked up the pieces and offered it to her again. This time she took it, slowly moved it around in her mouth, tasting it and then chewed it up and finished it. I don't think this girl has ever had treats before.

I took her to her new stall, tucked her in with bran mash and more hay and watched as she and her neighbors squealed it out a little for the first few minutes. Then LB decided to ignore the geldings on either side of her and focus on her food.

This morning the barn manager texted me to tell me she loves this mare! She is so impressed with her calm, sensible personality. The big test was when my trainer showed up. Good news is, he thinks she's cute, too!

Looking forward to getting to the barn this afternoon and playing with the mare. Hoping I get to ride, too. The weather is less than great and I don't think she's ever been in an indoor riding arena! Maybe I'll get a few pictures with my cell phone, too.

14 comments:

D'Nae said...

Yay! Congratulations, she sounds really great so far. I've been lurking for a while but had to comment on such a promising post. Here's hoping she continues to be as special as she sounds!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good luck with Little Bear, she sounds like a treasure. I find mares are more down to earth in new situations. At least the ones I know are.

Jean said...

Good news, all around, so far! I am so happy to hear she settled in quickly and seems to have such a good attitude.

Pictures are required!! Right now, all I can see in my mind is "Beautiful!!" *G*

OnTheBit said...

Yay!!! I am so happy that she is being a "big girl" about all of this. I am not surprised at all that you may have given her her very first treat. Poor girl! She is lucky to have you. I hope that she is as calm and athletic as I think she might be...I am positive she has never seen an indoor before so I am curious to see how that goes!

English Rider said...

Sounds like good omens.

Barbara said...

I always worry when they are being shipped. Glad she is there, now we need pictures. :-)

Dreaming said...

Oh, wow! I'm so excited for you!

Wendy said...

congrats!!

Mare said...

YAY! Good first impressions are always important. And I LOVE the name Little Bear! How cute!

Promise said...

Yes, post pictures soon! Glad to hear things are going well so far!

Lisa said...

Great news!! How wonderful for you!

SunnySD said...

Oh, fantastic - please do post pictures! I'm so happy for you :)

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

YAY!!! She sounds so cute! I can't wait to see photos!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Starting off on the right hoof, at least.

:)
~Lisa