Sunday, May 15, 2016

A brush with the past.


From the mindless to the mindful.

Grooming Joey before our ride today. I grabbed this old, worn out brush from my grooming box. Looks like it should have been thrown out long ago, right?

As I brushed the dust off of my horse with it, then put it down, it occurred to me. This brush has been across the backs of every horse I've been privileged to own. Even a few that weren't mine, but I had the good fortune to care for them and ride them for a time.

This was the first grooming tool I ever had. Bought it with my own money in 1976. 40 years ago. My favorite color. It has been in every grooming box I've had since.

3 comments:

English Rider said...

You'll never discard this memory laden relic. There's an old and well traveled metal mane comb in my desk drawer, with a broken tooth, just the right distance for measuring braids.

Golden the Pony Girl said...

Love the title. :) I have a few brushes and my grooming box that have been with me since I first got in to horses. The grooming box still has faded illustrations from my 8 yr old self.

Promise said...

I have several brushes like this in my box! My mom bought them with the first horse she ever bought, and they were given to me when I got Promise. I can't bear to part with them -- although I have upgraded a few, I seem to gravitate back to the originals!