Friday, September 21, 2018

Riding After Dark - Help Me Light My Way

I need help.

I am struggling with the onset of another season of early darkness impacting my already sparse riding time.

Having to ask the barn owners every time I need the lights turned on in the riding ring makes me feel powerless and forces me into a specific time that I have to be there.

I wish I could somehow safely illuminate my path, just so I could manage a 20 or 30 minute walk/trot ride in a safe way without bothering anyone.

I found this item on Amazon but know nothing about it. I wish there was a way to "try before you buy" something like this but of course, there isn't.

LED Horse Breastcollar

Anyone out there have any real-use suggestions for this? I just need enough light to see where we are going in the enclosed riding arena. I know plenty of people ride after dark with no light but that's not for me. Keep in mind, I'm a 53 year old rider who is experienced but in order to keep riding as long as I can, wants to minimize my risk of having a horse spook in the dark at whatever and cause me a wreck.

Help?

2 comments:

aurora said...

Safety comes first, the barn manager should want you to turn the lights on. Guess I don't understand the situation. Perhaps a portable flood light (like they use on job sites) would help light your way.

SolitaireMare said...

Unfortunately, I have no control over the arena lights. I have to call and request them for a certain time and hope someone is home to put them on/off for me. It’s probably just me but I feel as if I’m being a pest to keep asking for this. Also, if I get held up at work, I might not get there in time to use the lights for the time I requested. Then I’m in a rush to get out into the arena.

In one discussion with the barn owner, I suggested one outside light with a timer, accessible from outside their home. At least that way nobody would leave and forget to turn off the lights. But nothing came of that.