Sunday, March 15, 2009

More to come

I went to see another horse this past Thursday. My husband really wanted to see this one. So, while the kids were in school, with grandma and grandpa on call we just decided to both take the day off and go see him. It was probably the most spontaneous thing we have done together in a long time (ie. since having kids).

This is a horse that On The Bit from the blog A Horse and a Half recommended to me. If he turns out to be my Good Horse, I owe her! He's a big... okay BIG horse, I would guess 17.1 hands. I liked him from the minute I saw him. There was no place for me to ride him but his owner offered him to me on trial and I'm arranging to bring him in. She was a great part of the visit. We have lots of similarities in our horse histories and both my husband and I had a nice time chatting with her.

I called my friend who generously let me try Diego and explained everything. She's picking him up later today. She is great and she understands. I feel bad that it didn't work out. He is a nice horse but just I know he's not the one.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new trial horse - sorry it didn't work out with Diego, but it's as important to say no to the wrong horse as yes to the right one.

SolitaireMare said...

Hi Kate - thanks. Very well said, "it's as important to say no to the wrong horse as yes to the right one."

20 meter circle of life said...

excited for you

OnTheBit said...

Wow...check you out! Was he as handsome in person as I had heard that he was? I believe the word used to describe him was "striking". And who cares if this horse doesn't work out either just like Diego...your horse is out there. You will find him (or her) whenever you are ready for the right horse. That is pretty cool that you actually got to go out to see him! I hope you take some pictures of him when he gets to your place because I want to see how cute he is! And you said you wanted big and sensible and that is exactly how this horse was described to me. No matter what I hope you are just having fun horse hunting now that you get to ride again.

Jean said...

Sorry about Diego as he looked to be a nice guy, but neither the bond, nor the behavior matched what you really want.

This one sounds far more promising. A good three step mounting block will help if you don't have one. It just about gives me the height I need to get on my nearly 17h boy. (Unless you are a heck of a lot more limber than I am....Which well may be.)

Nice to have the opportunity of a trial. I hope he rides as well as he looks.

Katie said...

Too bad about Deigo! But if hes not right hes not right. Can't wait to hear more about this one!

wilsonc said...

Sorry Diego didn't work out, but you will find the right horse eventually. It's great that your getting the opportunity to have them on trial like that. I'm glad your friend is such a good friend and understands about Diego not being the one for you.

ChicagoGrrrl said...

There is an article in the 3/6/09 Chronicle of the Horse entitled "The Relativity of Soundness". It might be helpful to you. Anne Gribbons discusses how Americans are overly reliant on x-rays and these overly perfect ideas of soundness which in the end are indicative of a horses soundness or success.

Valerie said...

I enjoyed your blog!!! I am all about Horses!!! My world revolves around breeding and raising cutters and roping and a few good barrel prospects! I love the jumpers just never learned how to ride English!! Good Luck!

Valerie said...

I enjoyed your blog!!! I am all about Horses!!! My world revolves around breeding and raising cutters and roping and a few good barrel prospects! I love the jumpers just never learned how to ride English!! Good Luck!

Horseypants said...

I hope you don't mind my saying, I am actually kind of relieved to pop back by and see you're still looking for the right horse. It all just seemed a little too easy before...I mean, what are the odds? This is good. You are being careful and picky which means you're more likely to end up with the horse you really want. Keep on going and good luck!! (But you won't need luck because you're doing the work.)