Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bareback at 42


Just got home from riding. Had to keep it short tonight because I didn't get to the barn until 8:00PM. So I opted for bareback. Now, I think I'm almost at the point in my riding career where I just don't feel I should be sitting on a horse without a saddle. I may have days where I'll tempt fate and do it but for the most part, the little extra grip afforded by a bareback pad is the way I go now.

I have a nice bareback pad that is shaped to fit the horses' back and is very simple compared to some of the styles out there. It's pictured above and here's the name of it - Contour Tacky Back Bareback Pad and the catalog copy - "Designed with your safety in mind, this pad has a tacky underside that helps absorb shock, is easy to clean and prevents the slip or rolling problem found with other bareback pads. Heavy-duty buckle adjustments and a durable herculon top make this one of the nicest you've ever seen."

and my review:
I love the way this bareback pad is contoured and fits my horses back! I always hated the way bareback pads will shift from side to side when you ride, this one really does stay put. I have even jumped with it! I also like the fact that it does not come with stirrups, that's less stuff to interfere with my leg contact and position. It's comfortable for me and my horse, I like to use a baby pad underneath just to keep the bareback pad from getting too dirty. The workmanship and materials are excellent and it is worth the price. Definitely a good purchase!

So there I am, 42 years old, not exactly at my riding prime but still willing and balanced enough to enjoy the ride without a saddle. Monty was a doll, with just a Dee snaffle he and I walked and trotted for a half hour. I still love to sit his trot without a saddle. There is nothing that will improve your balance and feel like spending time on horseback with no saddle

No comments: