Friday, November 12, 2010

Animals in War Memorial


A day late but still worth checking out. I came across this site awhile ago and thought the monument was lovely. Animals in War Memorial The web page is an interesting read and gives information about all the animals who served their countries in conflict.

This painting of "Goodbye Old Man" by Fortunino Matania is one of my bittersweet favorites.



This is the accompanying poem from the same page by the Great War poet Henry Chappell (1874-1937) called "A Soldier's Kiss":



Crying now? I am.

6 comments:

jill said...

Wow, that is beautiful and powerful.
Thanx for sharing it.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful, heartfelt poem and painting. Thanks for sharing the site.

English Rider said...

I have had the animals in war memorial on my list of things I must visit ever since I first heard of it. Horses, dogs, camels, carrier pigeons, are all represented.
The poem is very moving. When I lived in northern Germany I met an old man who had ridden off to war on his horse and returned on foot. We can only begin to imagine...

Jean said...

You've brought me to tears. These creatures were all as much warriors as the men who mastered them.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post - thank you.

Have you heard about the play"War Horse"?

Scheduled to be in NYC this coming spring, and I believe Speilberg is making a film as well.

SolitaireMare said...

Hi transition, oh yes, I am so excited for War Horse to come to the States! I cannot wait until the tickets go on sale!