Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Horseless Horseman

This is the first time in almost 35 years that I have no horse of my own in my life.
I wrote this today for Monty.

A Horseless Horseman

In my hand only a pen
yet my fingers feel the
tension of the reins.

I sit in my chair
motionless, yet
I feel the rhythm of hooved feet.

Though our communication was
always in silence,
the silence now is deafening.

My partner has gone to
a place I cannot yet follow
and I am lost.

I will find another
but I will have to
master his language
mold his skill
and meet his expectations.

When all I want in the world
is the comfort of one more ride
with my old friend.

- Brigitte

7 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Amen.

20 meter circle of life said...

Simply perfect. Hugs Jewel

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem...and I know what you mean about the silence being defining...and you are right you will find another horse, but you wont find another Monty...he was too special to be replicated. When you are ready you find a new horse. Have you thought about that yet? I don't know if it is better to rush and get a new one quickly or to wait until you are ready for a new one. ((((HUGS))) And thank you for the bridle advice...I am going to try the schooling tack idea and see what Texas's owner says.

Tammy Vasa said...

Written from the heart... Thanks for sharing with us.

Horseypants said...

That was a great poem. Hang in there. There is another horse somewhere waiting for you when you're ready to turn the page, to a new chapter in the big book o'life.

C-ingspots said...

That's nice. He was too young and so very handsome. Again, I am so very sorry.

Heather said...

Absolutely lovely..it brought tears to my eyes.

Heather