Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Woo Hoo! US Gold in Team Show Jumping!


(AP Photo/Kin Cheung)


August 18, 2008

HONG KONG (AP) The U.S. has won the gold medal Monday in Olympic equestrian team jumping, knocking out Canada, which has taken silver.

Norway has won the bronze.

The U.S. got clear rounds from their first three riders in the jump-off. One Canadian rider knocked down a fence, and since Canada only had three riders to the Americans' four, that clinched the U.S. gold.

The U.S. also won team jumping in 2004 in Athens and has two returning combinations on the 2008 team, McLain Ward on Sapphire and Beezie Madden on Authentic.

Ian Millar, riding in his ninth Olympics, forced the jump-off with a clear round on In Style. The team silver is Millar's first Olympic medal.

The above was copied from AOL news.

I enjoy watching the dressage, but the showjumping is my first love! I enjoyed getting to see it on the Oxygen network last night. Plus, I think they showed all the rounds including the jump off, NICE! Usually it's edited to the point where all the excitement is cut out of the event. I love checking out each rider's equipment, I'm such a gear-geek! I have to say, I think Ian Millar's ride was just amazing to watch. His form is beautiful, even over those big fences and he's 61 years old! Now that's how I want to age!

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I was so happy to see Ian Miller do so well, he has never won a medal in all his competitions at the Olympics. He is one talented rider who knows what he is doing and does it with classic style. It also goes to show you that perhaps 61 isn't too old to ride. I hope when I get there I am still at it too!