Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Little Dog Won't Sing Anymore


My little Shih Tzu dog can't "sing" with me anymore. We used to sing together by me saying, "I love you" in a squeeky voice to her. She would start to yip happily and copy me and very quickly would be yipping a doggy version of "I yove yoooooou!" We would do it together and draw out the "oooooo" sound until we would sing it in perfect pitch together. If you knew us and saw it, it was really cute. I even taught my kids to do it with her. The picture above is her in her younger days.

I have been so busy with the kids and work and all the other things that get in the way in life that I haven't taken a moment to sing with her in a long time. She's gone blind and she's been losing her hearing for a while now. This morning I stopped from my routine and tried to get her to do it as it was always something that cheered me up. I tried to get her to respond but she just sat there. Then I realized her hearing must be so gone now that she can't hear me at all to try and join me.

She's gotten so old, and somewhere I lost my chance to sing with her one last time.

No comments: