Friday, February 6, 2009

Well, it's a Big Deal to Me!

One of my children's homework assignments this week was an index card with 6 holes punched in a dice formation on it and a piece of yarn laced into the holes like a shoe. The project was to practice tying a "shoelace". Every night's homework was to do a lesson and practice tying the shoelace. On the second night, D suddenly became very focused and gave that task his full attention. With my slow and careful demonstration, he kept at it and by about the 6th try, he had it figured out! He then went on to keep retying the shoelace and show everyone in the house he could do it!

I was SO proud of him! And I couldn't understand why no one else was getting as excited as I was. C'mon! Tying a shoelace is really a hard skill to learn, I recall it being a pain in the @$$ when I had to learn it and he got it down after about 10 minutes! I told him to show his teacher in class the next day that he could do it. So when he came home from school, I asked if he demonstrated his new skill and what she thought. He said, "yeah, I did it but she didn't say anything." HELLO - my son can tie a shoelace, praise is in order here!

So although I may be the only one to see this as a huge milestone, it's a big deal to me that one of my kids can tie a shoelace!

My boyz riding lessons were cancelled last night (again). It's just too d@mn cold. The trainers agreed it was too icy and cold even with the indoor to teach so they cancelled all the lessons. So much for that. I think the last time they rode was before Christmas. This winter has been too cold for too long...

5 comments:

wilsonc said...

You are right it is a big deal! My grandsons are in the process of learning the same thing right now. Once they accomplish it I am going to take them out to ice cream to celebrate the momentous occasion. Every child should have a big deal made over their accomplishments. It builds self confidence.

English Rider said...

I agree it is a big deal. I must add that I would follow up with the teacher. If your little guy got the brush off, it's not O.K. Especially at that age enthusiasm should not be dampened.

Mrs. Mom said...

Oh for Petes sake.. teachers these days... grr! Congrats to your little fellows determination and mastering such a tough skill! Give him a ^5 from the Southland! Cant wait to hear what he tackles next..hehehe..

WarPony said...

I agree, totally a big deal! Good for you for recognizing that and giving him the praise he deserved. Boo on everyone else. I still have a hard time tying my shoes sometimes and I am almost 40, lol.

Jean said...

Congratulations, Devon, what a fantastic accomplishment! You should be so proud for working hard like that to learn something new.

(Please offer the above to a very clever son--this from a high school teacher who knows the true value of learning.)