Monday, February 9, 2009

My Secret

Thanks to all who are sending well-wishes and good luck my way! I know many of you want to see this mystery colt. Believe me, I want to share, I have video of the trainer working with him and a snippet of me on him. I can pull still photos, too. But the reason I'm being very vague about him is this is a public forum and if I gush about him, I'm afraid he may get snapped out from under me by another buyer.

After the vet check, if all is good and we agree on the price and some money changes hands, I will post like crazy.
In fact, if he doesn't work out for me, then I'll still post him. Maybe in some way I could help him find a home, even if it's not with me.

I have a call in to my vet to recommend a vet in the area where this colt is to do the exam. We have to be sure it's not a vet the trainer uses or there will be a conflict of interest and I'm back to square one. I just want to move on this so she knows I'm serious.

I know my long time trainer (the Master) is wondering why I want to get involved with a greenie baby. I asked myself the same thing. It will be almost 2 years before we can pursue serious jumping work. The next year would be spent with lots of lunging, light, short riding sessions and just a lot of time to grow up. There will be no hunter paces or long trail rides in that time. I need his back and joints to close correctly and try to ensure him a long sound career as a riding horse.

And I feel I'm okay with it. To create something special, if all the right stuff is there from the start would be wonderful. With the busy schedule I have right now with my work and family, a young horse who only needs a few days a week of saddle work and just basic handling on the other days will be okay. I don't see it as a step back but as a step in another direction that can pay off well for the long term.

4 comments:

OnTheBit said...

I don't blame you for keeping it secret for now...of course I still wish I could see pictures and videos, but I understand. Not sure where the colt is but if he is in my area I know who the good and the bad vets are. I have a feeling you went North and not West for this guy though. I hope all checks out well! And who cares what people think about you getting a greenie. I was actully thinking "what a perfect age match" when you said he was 2. By the time this new guy is ready to work and you want to start doing stuff and taking whole days for clinics and paces your boys will be old enough to want to go to their friends house for the day, or maybe even ride with you!

Jean said...

I've started 4 greenies and I can't even begin to tell you how much fun it is and how fast the time flies before it's time to start riding.

And there is so much you can do in the meantime without the pressure of formal training. I highly recommend ground driving too.

This is so exciting. Here I am a new reader and already I am caught up in the drama.

Sending good wishes, good vibes, and tons of hope your way. Looking forward to the purchase post! *S*

allhorsestuff said...

Oh this is gonna be good!
I love the idea of working up to potiential, together!
KK

EquineMan said...

It is a little weird when you have your eye on a good prospect and you have the feelings that someone else might slip in under you and take the colt a way from you.

I have never started a colt or put any real time in training one for myself fully.

I will have to watch your blog and see how he goes.

But you have you have sparked my interest by the mysterious!

Good Luck

Ron
horse trailers